Stronger storms can mean more power outages. Here are a few tips on what to do if it happens to you:
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
- If the door stays closed, food will stay safe for up to 4 hours in the refrigerator and up to 48 hours in a full freezer
- Group frozen foods together if your freezer is only partially full.
- Transfer items you don’t need immediately to the freezer.
- If the power is out longer than 4 hours, and a cooler and ice are available, move refrigerated perishables to the cooler.
- Discard meat, poultry, and fish that has been above 40° F for more than two hours.
- Visit this website for information on which foods are safe and which to throw out after a prolonged power outage.